If you thought air pollution was just an outdoor concern,
think again. The particles you see in a beam of afternoon
sunlight streaming through the window only represent about
1% of the millions of airborne contaminants in your indoor
air. Most standard fiber glass-mesh furnace filters only trap
about 15% of these particles, leaving the other 85% to pollute
your air, your furnishings, even your lungs.
Mechanical Air Cleaner
A MECHANICAL AIR CLEANER has a heavy-duty media filter that
can trap up to 28 times as many particles as a standard fiber
glass filter, including animal dander and plant spores.
Electronic Air Cleaner
A ELECTRONIC AIR CLEANER can capture up to 95% of all airborne
particles -- smoke, grease, bacteria and even many viruses.
An electronic model works as a sort of magnet for undesirable
pollutants. An aluminum mesh filter catches most of the large
particles. The smaller particles pass through an ionizing
section, where they receive an electrical charge so they are
attracted like magnets to grounded metal plates. The collected
particles are cleaned off the plates every few months with
a garden hose or by popping the filter in the dishwasher.
While the process may sound complicated, electronic air cleaners
only use about as much electricity as a 30-watt light bulb.
Air cleaners can improve your health, keep your entire home
cleaner, protect your valuable investments and save you the
time and aggravation of constant dusting.